A sore throat is basically a condition where, you feel very annoying throat pain. It is mostly caused because of the inflammation on the throat, which is scientifically known as ‘acute pharyngitis’. Sore throat is also one of the first warning sign of catching the virus of common cold, or about a strain in the vocal chords or even sometimes something that is more serious, like strep throat. Regardless whether we know about the actual cause of the pain or a sore throat, we always rush to the doctor, but there are many natural home remedies which can easily fix as well as heal the problem of cough and sore throat.
But, to take a right cure, it is quite better to identify the symptoms first. The risk of a sore throat is basically high among the allergic, smokers, children, and people who have bad immune system. So here, are some home remedies for cough and sore throat that you can do at home for an instant relief.
Cough And Sore Throat
1Gargle With Warm Salt Water
When the throat starts hurting, regardless of what is its causes, it is mostly because of the cells in your mucous membrane that have become swollen as well as inflamed. By gargling with the salt water you can decrease the swelling, as the salts, most primary function is to draw out the water, which in turn can shrink the swollen cell and eases out the pain. It can also help to wash away the excess mucus and allows the stuffy nose to drain properly.
a. one cup of warm water
b. Half teaspoon of table salt
- First heat the water until it feels warm, but not at all hot.
- Then thoroughly mix the water with salt.
- After that put some amount of water on your mouth and start gargling
- You can repeat throughout the day as much it is needed.
2Suck On A Garlic
Yes, it is repulsive, and you maybe don’t want to go to a dinner date right after, but garlic is an amazing natural remedy which can kick the sore throat right out of your throat. The main healing reason lies in the garlic allicin, a compound which can kill off the bacteria that can cause the strep as well as fight the germ that are causing pain as well as irritation.
a. one fresh clove of garlic, that is sliced in half
- First place one piece of garlic in each of your cheek, and suck it like it is a cough drop.
- Then occasionally try to crush them with your teeth to release the allicin, there is not much of a need to actually bite it. Try to do it once everyday.
3Steam It Out
Steam can easily ease off a sore throat, particularly the one that hurts because of the dryness, and it also make it easier to breathe when you get congested and you can use the steam remedy without even leaving the comfort of your house.
a. One medium or a large bowl
b. Hot water that can fill the bowl at least of halfway
c. One bath towel or a towel similar size to cover your head
d. Eucalyptus oil (optional)
- First boil a pot of water and then pour it in the bowl.
- Then lean over to the bowl so that you can inhale fully by rising the steam
- You don’t need to stick the face right up to it. Just drape the towel over the head to create a tent for proper steaming.
- You can add a few drops of eucalyptus oil, for more soothing feeling.
4Drink Licorice (Mulethi) Root Tea
By drinking a licorice (Mulethi) root tea you can also naturally get relief for the sore throat. The anti-viral as well as anti-inflammatory properties present in the licorice root can help to reduce the swelling and irritation, and it can help to soothe the mucus membranes in the throat. If you want, then you can buy tea with licorice in it, or just brew up your own. Or just follow the recipe below for an effective home remedy for a sore throat with extra taste which is yummy and comforting.
a. One cup of chopped dry licorice root
b. Half cup of cinnamon chips
c. Two tablespoons of whole cloves
d. Half cup of chamomile flowers
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl thoroughly.
- Then to prepare a tea, combine the three heaping tablespoons of tea mix and a 2.5 cups of cold water in a saucepan.
- Then bring it to a boil over a medium heat, then reducing heat to low, and simmer for more 10 minutes.
- Later pour the tea in a large mug through a strainer, and enjoy.
5Turmeric (Haldi) Remedies
a. Haldi doodh: One of the most traditional remedy, by many people swear by is the drink of hot milk with turmeric. According to some studies, it has shown to have antibacterial properties. Just heat a glass of milk, and in it mix in half a teaspoon of turmeric powder and try to drink it warm to get relief from the cough and sore throat.
b. Turmeric gargle: A turmeric gargle can also give quite a good result. Add half teaspoon of turmeric powder and half teaspoon salt, to one cup of hot water. Then use the liquid as a throat gargle and you can experience relief from the cough.
c. Turmeric and honey mixture: For a very dry cough and sore throat, mix turmeric powder with a teaspoon of honey. Try to take them three to four times a day. You can also prepare some turmeric tea by just adding one tablespoon of turmeric powder in four cups of boiling water. Then keep it for a few minutes, later straining and mixing some lemon as well as honey to the liquid and drink.
d. Dhooma paan: Inhaling the smoke of a burning turmeric known as dhooma paan and is also considered to be an effective remedy for cough and sore throat. To follow this, take some dried turmeric root, then burn it and inhale the smoke.