Peppermint is basically a cross in between the watermint as well as spearmint and is a native product of Europe. The herb, is historically been known for its many medicinal uses, and impressive long history which gives it the prestigious title as one of the world’s oldest medicine. Unlike other herbs as well as essential oils, many number of health benefits of the peppermint and peppermint oil have been studied.
One of the major health benefits of peppermint oil, is it includes the ability to treat indigestion, headache, respiratory problems, fever, nausea, stomach and bowel spasms, as well as provide relief from pain. It is because of the presence of menthol, menthone as well as menthyl esters, peppermint and peppermint oil can find a wide applications in manufacturing shampoo, soap, cigarettes, chewing gum, toothpaste, tea and ice cream.
Benefits Of Peppermint Oil
1. Indigestion: Peppermint oil is considered as a very helpful product which aids for the digestion. You can put a few drop of peppermint oil into the glass of water and drink it after the meal for benefiting digestive properties. It is very carminative and therefore can help to remove excess gas. It is also good tonic for those people who have low appetite, and it can help to treat motion sickness, nausea as well as upset stomach.
Peppermint oil can help to relax the smooth muscles of the GI tract, that is why it is a common component of “over-the-counter” medications. A number of studies, have shown that it is a great reliever of the Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), which affect million of people every year and is also characterized by the abdominal pain or discomfort without any other of the diagnosed diseases.
2. Dental care: It is because of the Peppermint oil’s antiseptic properties, it is useful in the dental care. It can eliminate the bad breath and help teeth as well as gums to fight off the hazardous germs. It is because of these attributes, it is added to numerous types of toothpastes, and it is also been shown to be useful in the treatment of toothaches. The inhalation of the peppermint oil, can help to vapor the anti-inflammatory as well as pain relieving.
4. Nausea and headache: Peppermint oil is also a good home remedy for nausea as well as headaches. It can alleviate the headache easily, just apply some oil in a diluted form directly on your forehead. Inhaling peppermint oil, can help to eliminate the effect of nausea as well as motion sickness, simply because of the relaxing and soothing effects. Its cooling and anti-inflammatory properties are some of the reason on why it is successful in relieving the headache symptoms, and it is even used to reduce the migraines in patients.
5. Stress: Like other essential oils, even peppermint is able to give relief from the stress, depression as well as mental exhaustion because of its refreshing nature. It is also much effective against all the anxiety and restlessness. Furthermore, it can stimulate the mental activity, clear the mind, and increase the focus on the cognitive tasks.
6. Pain relief: Peppermint oil, can be externally used to provide relief from pain. It is believed the presence of calcium antagonism in the peppermint oil can help to remove pain from the affected areas. It is also very cooling in nature and can be subsequently used to help in reducing the fever. It is known as a “refrigerant”, meaning that it can provide intensely cold sensation to the affected area. In case of wound, injury, or healing process, when the oil is applied topically to the area it can help to reduce the swelling, pain, and eliminate all the chances of any uncomfortable inflammation.
7. Immune system: Peppermint oil, can help to increase a person’s immunity to various kind of diseases and is most commonly employed by those who have weak immune systems or who frequently suffer from any kind of illness. Peppermint oil is also known to have many powerful antiviral, antibacterial, as well as antifungal effects, which is why it is being used in many alternative treatments. It is also composed of menthol, camphor, and carvacrol, which is resistant to certain type of dangerous bacterial strains like E. coli, salmonella, and staph infections.
8. Blood circulation: The effect of stimulating in peppermint oil, have been known to increase the blood circulation. Studies have shown that as soon as these essential oil vapor touch the end of the olfactory nerve endings, there is an instant increase in the pulse rate and the blood circulation. The stimulating effect can help to oxygenate the body’s organs and increase metabolism, as well as oxygenate the brain. This also lead to a higher cognitive function and protect against the neurally degenerative diseases like the Alzheimer’s and dementia. Furthermore, increased blood circulation can prevent the diabetic patients from complications as they are already in a risk because of the glucose level imbalances.
9. Hair care: Peppermint oil is also very useful for hair care as it can give a cooling effect to your head, while removing dandruff as well as lice. Peppermint oil has regenerative, antiseptic, and stimulating effect, which means that it can give relief from the irritating scalp and dry skin, stimulate the hair growth for those who are suffering from baldness, and give relatively healthy and shiny hair. Peppermint oil can be found in many types of hair care products and is an alternative solutions for baldness, dandruff, and other hair-related conditions. Increasing blood circulation on the scalp can promote healthy hair growth.
Hair Care With Peppermint Oil
Suits Every Hair And Scalp Type
No matter, whether you have an oily hair or dry hair, peppermint oil can always work for you! Since peppermint oil, is known to have its astringent properties, it can help to normalize the sebum secretion and cool down the scalp. Your scalp as well as hair won’t even feel greasy anymore with the regular application of this oil.
Hydrates A Dry Scalp
First wrap your hair in a shower cap and then wait for at least 30 minutes. Alternatively, you can use this peppermint essential oil with the combination of other essential oils like jasmine or lavender.
It can help to nourish the hair and moisturize it thoroughly.
Promotes Hair Growth
Peppermint oil have stimulating properties, and can penetrate through the scalp surface and stimulate the follicles of the hair. It can promote the blood circulation thereby boosting the hair growth and making the hair root much more stronger by providing the needed nourishment.
So, good bye hair fall!