90s are the times, we miss most whenever we see a 90s movie. We loved the days, when there were only some selected channels, that made us happy to wait for the whole week to watch a show. More than those simple TV days, we miss the actresses. Who performed an excellent work in movies, and gave us a memorable childhood. Still whenever we see 90s movies we try to remember the days, and the year. Here are some few memorable 90s Indian actresses, who gave us a memorable decade to remember.
Some Memorable Actresses
1Iconic Pooja Bhatt
This iconic actress, is the eldest daughter of Indian Filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt. She started her career with a 1989 TV film called ‘Daddy’ with Anupam Kher. Later, she gained her fame from her 1991 movie, ‘Dil Hai Ki Manta Nahi’ which was opposite to Aamir Khan. Her other hit movies were 1991 ‘Sadak’ opposite to Sanjay Dutt, 1992 ‘Junoon’ opposite to Rahul Roy, 1995 ‘Angrakshak’ opposite to Sunny Deol, 1996 ‘Chaahat’ opposite to Shahrukh Khan, 1997 movie ‘Tamanna’, 1998 movie ‘Zakhm’ opposite Ajay Devgn.
Her last film, where she appeared was in ‘Everybody Says I’m Fine!’ in 2001. She had also won many awards. Her first award was for
- Daddy in 1991 as Filmfare Award for Lux New Face of The Year,
- 1997 for ‘Tamanna’ as National Film Award for Best Film on Other Social Issues and
- 1999 for ‘Zakhm’ as Nargis Dutt Award for Best Feature Film on National Integration.
2Bubbly Divya Bharti
This bubbly actress started her career at the age of 16, in a 1990 Telugu movie named ‘Bobili Raja’. After a successful career in Telugu movies, she later moved to Bollywood with 1992 action thriller movie ‘Vishwatma’ opposite to Sunny Deol. She later had a commercial success alongside Govinda in 1992 with ‘Shola aur Shabnam’ and ‘Deewana’ in 1992 opposite to Shahrukh Khan and Rishi Kapoor. She became so popular that she acted over 14 films between 1992 to early 199, which is still an unbroken record in Bollywood.
- Filmfare Award for Lux New Face of the Year for ‘Deewana’.
She later decided to do one Telugu movie a year, to not disappoint her Telugu audience and starred in ‘Chittamma Mogudu’ opposite to Mohan Babu. She met and married Sajid Nadiadwala in the year 1992 and immediately converted to Muslim, and became known as Sana Nadiadwala. She died in 1993 after falling from a balcony, of her apartment.
3Thrilling Urmila Matondkar
This famous actress, started her career as a child actress in a 1980 Marathi film ‘Zaakol’. She released her first Bollywood drama film ‘Kalyug’ in 1981 and later gained recognition, from her 1983 movie ‘Masoom’. Following which she also appeared in many other film as a child artist.
Her first debut movie, as an adult in Bollywood is ‘Narsimha’ opposite to Sunny Deol in 1991. Later she was casted in a lead role a 1995 romantic-drama movie ‘Rangeela’, opposite to Aamir Khan and Jackie Shroff, which helped her in launching her career, and her performance was praised worldwide. Following this she was also praised for ‘Judaai’ opposite to Ani Kapoor, that released in 1997 and crime thriller ‘Satya’ in 1998. She also worked in many Southern movies, which gained her quite a success in South. She garnered much praise for her performance in thriller movies like 1999 film ‘Kaun’ opposite to Manoj Bajpayee and Sushant Singh, ‘Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya’ opposite to Fardeen Khan in 2001, ‘Bhoot’ opposite to Ajay Devgn in 2003, ‘Ek Hasina Thi’ opposite to Saif Ali Khan in 2004, ‘Naina’ in 2005.
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor-Female for ‘Bhoot’ in 2004,
- Star Screen Awards for Best Actress for ‘Bhoot’ in 2004,
- Filmfare Best Actress Award in Critics category for ‘Bhoot’ in 2004,
- Bollywood Movie Award for Most Sensational Actress for ‘Pyaar Tune Kya Kiya’ in 2001,
- Bollywood Movie Award for Most Sensational Actress for ‘Bhoot’ in 2004 and ‘Maine Gandhi Ko Nahi Maara’ in 2006,
- Apsara Film & Television Producers Guild Award for Best Actress in Leading Role for Bhoot in 2004.
4Gorgeous Mamta Kulkarni
This former actress was part of several movies in Bollywood. She made her debut with ‘Tirangaa’ in 1992. Her other hit movies are ‘Aashiq Awara’ opposite Saif Ali Khan in 1993, ‘Waqt Hamara Hai’ in 1993 opposite Sunil Shetty, ‘Krantiveer’ in 1994 opposite Atul Agihotri, ‘Karan Arjun’ opposite Salman Khan in 1995, ‘Sabse Bada Khiladi’ opposite Akshay Kumar in 1995, ‘Baazi’ opposite Aamir Khan in 1995.
- Fimfare Award for Lux New face of The Year for her movie ‘Aashiq Awara’ in 1993.
5Blue eyed beauty Karishma Kapoor
Karishma Kapoor was born as a eldest daughter of Randhir Kapoor and Babita. She is the part of iconic Kapoor family of Bollywood. She made her acting debut at the age of 17 in the 1991 movie ‘Prem Qaidi’. Her other movies were ‘Jigar’ in 1992 opposite Ajay Devgn, ‘Anari’ opposite South Actor Venkatesh in 1993, ‘Raja Babu’ opposite Govinda in 1994, ‘Coolie No. 1’ opposite Govinda in 1995, ‘Gopi Kishan’ opposite Sunil Shetty in 1994, ‘Saajan Chaale Sasural’ opposite Govinda in 1996, ‘Jeet’ opposite Salman Khan and Sunny Deol in 1996.
She gained fame from her movie ‘Raja Hindustani’ in 1996 opposite to Aamir Khan, her biggest commercial success. In 1997, she was casted opposite to Shahrukh Khan in ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’.Later, she played many role in critically acclaimed movies like ‘Fiza’ in 2000, ‘Zubeidaa’ in 2001.
She won many awards like in
- 1997 as Sansui Viewer’s Choice Award for Best Supporting Actress for ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’,
- Bollywood Movie Award – Best Supporting Actress for ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’,
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor – Female for ‘Raja Hindustani’,
- Filmfare Best Actress Award for ‘Raja Hindustani’,
- In 1998 as National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress for ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’,
- Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award for ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’,
- Screen Award for Best Supporting Actress for ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’,
- Zee Cine Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role – Female for ‘Dil To Pagal Hai’,
- In 2000 as Filmfare Award for Best Actress for ‘Biwi No.1’,
- IIFA Award for Best Actress for ‘Biwi No.1’,
- Indo-American Society Young Achievers Award for Young Achiever Award,
- In 2001 as Filmfare Best Actress Award for ‘Fiza’, Screen Award for Best Actress for ‘Fiza,
- Zee Premiere Choice – Female for ‘Fiza’,
- IIFA Best Actress Award for ‘Fiza’,
- IIFA Best Actress Award for ‘Raja Hindustani’,
- Bollywood Movie Award – Best Actress for ‘Fiza’,
- Bengal Film Journalists’ Association Award for Best Actress – Hindi Movies for ‘Fiza’,
- In 2002 as Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actress for ‘Zubeidaa’,
- Smita Patil Memorial Award Receiver for outstanding contribution to film industry’,
- In 2003 as Bollywood Movie Award – Most Sensational Actress for ‘Shakti: The Power’,
- In 2011 as Hello! Hall Of Fame Award for Most Stylish Woman of the Year