Have you recently come across this new sounding ingredient have seen all the amazing reviews of its uses and benefits? Well, you are not the only one. We have been hearing about this great ingredient for quiet a while now and we finally decided to bring for you all the little things you need to know about this interesting compound called Epsom salt and its benefits.
What is Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt is named after a saline spring located in Epsom, England. It is a pure mineral compound which acts as a magic wonder and occurs naturally. It mainly constitutes of magnesium and sulfate. It is known for its natural capacity for ailments. It has many health benefits and can be used readily for household, beauty, and gardening. The skin absorbs magnesium and sulfate readily so we recommend baths in Epsom salt for several health benefits.
How does Epsom Salt work?
Epsom salt mainly constitutes magnesium and sulfate. Both have their own ways of health benefits, on one hand, magnesium regulates the activity of nearly 325 enzymes present in the body, helping the nerve and muscle functioning, preventing hardening of the artery and reducing inflammation. Whereas, on the other hand, sulfate helps in flushing out the toxins, enhances headaches caused by a migraine and improves the nutrient absorption. So, Epsom salt is used for it combined benefits where it has the strength a mixture of magnesium and sulfate.
How to use Epsom Salt?
Only a little sprinkle of this magic salt does the trick! Epsom Salt is easily found at pharmacies, local grocery stores also in garden supply stores. Its uses are varied and wide, though each type is manufactured separately however, they are all equal chemically.
Uses of Epsom Salt:
There is an uncountable number of benefits of Epsom salt. We will list some of those in the following points:
Garden Uses of Epsom Salt:
1. Eliminating worms and Slugs- Sprinkling some Epsom salt in your garden will keep the worms and slugs away from the lawn. This trick removes on the region of their gliding and prevents them from re-invading.
2. To make the grass greener- Just by adding two tablespoons of Epsom salt to a barrel of water helps the grass to gain more iron and magnesium once the mixture is evenly spread on the grass it will start to flourish soon.
3. Enhancing production: According to studies Epsom salt benefits and increases the production of fruit blooms, tomatoes and especially pepper. Only a single tablespoon of Epsom salt inwater or even sprinkling from above creates the show.
4. Perfect Soil Preparation: A perfect garden mix can be created by mixing a cup of Epsom salt per hundred feet as it acts like a natural fertilizer when mixed into the soil with a fertilizer spreader.
1. Bathroom Tiles Cleaning- We need to mix equal parts of Epsom salt with liquid dish cleaning soap and apply it on the stained areas followed by thorough scrubbing. Epsom salt helps in dissolving the grime.
2. Removing of burnt food and oil from utensils- It surprising to see when a burnt pan or pot is rubbed with 1/4th part of Epsom salt followed by normal water rinsing. Utensils will look unused with no marks of leftovers.
3. Car battery Regeneration- It adds on a bit more to the original lifespan of your car’s battery as Epsom salt uses its abilities when you add only an ounce to warm water to form a paste and apply it on each cell thoroughly.
4. Giving a frosty look to windows in Christmas- This can be done by mixing ½ cup of water along with three tablespoons of liquid soap and 1 cup of Epsom salt. Just apply the mixture to glass windows and let it dry to make the window appear frosted. The same technique is also used for many winter craft ideas too.
Beauty And Health Benefits of Epsom Salt:
1. Face Cleanser: We need to mix half tablespoon of Epsom salt with the regular cleansing cream and let it rest on your face for the night. Gently massage and rinse your face once to wake up to see the mesmerizing effects and glowing skin.
2. Skin Masking: To fight acne, this masks has epsom salt benefits that can help you. To prepare the pure we need one egg, half teaspoon of pantothenic acid powder, one teaspoon of Epsom salt, 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel, two drops of thyme oil and a chopped ripe tomato. The puree must be applied to the skin for 15 minutes and then gently rinsed off to give best results for acne issues.
3. Soaking Foot: Softening of rough skin, removing foot odors and soothing aches are easy now. We need to add a half cup of Epsom salt with a pan of warm water and soak the foot until the water is warm. This helps in removing toenail fungus and adding marbles gives a perfect foot massage.
4. Exfoliating Skin: One of the great uses of Epsom salt is to exfoliate your skin. Just applying raw Epsom salt to skin starting from the toe and slowly moving towards the face followed by a bath helps in repairing damaged skin related problems. It acts as a natural exfoliant.
5. Removal of excess hair oil: Adding nine tablespoons of Epsom salt with a half tablespoon of oily shampoo and applying it on dry hair followed by the adding of lemon juice or organic apple cider vinegar. This soaks the extra oil on rinsing after five to ten minutes from the time it is applied.
6. Volumizer for hair: One of the best uses of Epsom salt is as a hair volumizer. Equal parts of conditioner needs to be mixed with Epsom oil and then applied for twenty minutes followed by rinsing. The result might just amaze you.
7. Soaking bruises and sprains: The best way to reduce bruises and sprains is to add two cups of Epsom salt with warm water followed by soaking. Soaking in a mixture of Epsom salt and water helps in drawing out the splinter.
8. Detoxification: Drinking Epsom salt once per day has several health benefits, but this should be followed by drinking of extra water. We need to add two tablespoons of Epsom salt and mix it with a half cup of boiling water till it dissolves completely. Eventually drinking it.
9. Relaxes Body and reduces stress: Epsom salt helps is boosting your levels of adrenaline and thus it can ease out your stress levels. When you dissolve it in warm water the skin can absorb it really easily, it helps in releasing the serotonin hormone that makes your mood relax and feel calm.
10. Fights foot odor: Another Epsom salt benefits is that it is great to fight feet odor. Soak your feet in warm water and add 1 tsp of Epsom salt. This will relieve your feet of any prolonged bad odor. It will also soften your feet and keep them healthy.
There is a never-ending list of the benefits of Epsom salt. Apart from the above uses there is several more like the removal of blackheads, relieving from gout pain and inflammation, stress reliever, acting as an Aloe Vera supplement over mosquito bites, bee stings etc. conjunctivitis healing and enhancing eye health, herbal baths and much more.
What are the side effects of Epsom Salt?
Epsom salt side effects can be fatal, consult a doctor immediately if you feel the need. Some of the vulnerabilities include malnutrition, severe diarrhea, high calcium level, fatigue, convulsions, spasms or muscle cramps and sometimes erratic eye movements. Although it is safe to be used externally you should still make sure not to over use it.
Epsom Salt Warnings:
Excess of anything can be bad,and Epsom salt is no different. The high consumption of Epsom salt can imply several changes and life-threatening symptoms which could warn the body in the form of the following:
- Perforated bowel
- Low blood pressure
- Muscle weakness
- Eating Disorder
- Stomach pain
- Skin irritation for some people.
To avoid these symptoms restrict the usage to external use only.
While this is a fairly harmless compound it is still advisable to consult your doctor if you see any physical or mental symptoms on prolonged use. Strictly follow his directions and restrict the use according to the amount said. Do not consume the compound but only restrict it to external usage. With so many uses and benefits of Epsom salt we know you sure are excited to try it out. We hope you have a great time experimenting and reaping it amazing benefits.